- If possible, move on a weekday while banks, utility companies, and government offices are open
- Use sheets, blankets, and towels to separate pictures, dishes, and other fragile objects. This cuts down on space and moving supplies. Socks can be slipped around the wine glasses to help pad the delicate stems.
- Instead of wrapping each plate in newspaper or costly bubble wrap, alternate the real plates with Styrofoam disposable plates and — voila! — Instant padding. Genius, right?
- Pack plates vertically, rather than flat and stacked.
- Mark each box with its contents and destination room so that you and your helpers will know where each box belongs at your new pad.
- Fill two “OPEN ME FIRST” boxes containing snacks, instant coffee, tea bags, soap, toilet paper, toothpaste and brushes, medicine and toiletry items, a flashlight, tool kit, paper plates, cups, utensils, paper towels, and any other items you can not live without.
- Have suitcases on wheels? Use them for packing heavy things like books.
- Break out the garbage bags and pull one bag up around a cluster of your hanging clothes, then tie the open end by the hangers.
- Take pictures of which TV cable goes to which input on the different components, or how certain knick-knacks are displayed on the bookshelves to serve as an unpacking guide. Photos may also protect your goods for insurance purposes should anything get damaged in the move.
- In the new home, resist the temptation to pile boxes into the garage, attic, or back closet, with a promise to get to them later. If a boxful of stuff is so unnecessary that a year could pass without needing the contents, maybe it’s time to ditch the contents before the move. Otherwise, you risk forgetting where you put important things, or end up parking the car outside all winter.
- The desire to relax is strong. The coffee table pushed up against the sofa looks so inviting, but those boxes aren’t going to unpack themselves. Resist the urge to derail your momentum. Otherwise, those boxes will just stand over your head. Unpack the TV last, sink deeply into that comfy couch, and revel in the knowledge of a well-done moving job any pro would envy.
- If moving locally, arrange for your pets to stay with a friend or family member as animals can become confused and frightened during a move.
Feel free to contact our team if you have any further questions.
We are looking forward to working with you and your family in the near future