Steps After Receiving Home Inspection Report: How to Make Informed Decisions for Your Dream Home
After a long search, you’ve found your dream home and the home inspection has been completed. However, upon receiving the inspection report, you notice a few issues. Don’t panic! Here are the steps you can take after receiving a home inspection report.
- Review the inspection report: Carefully go through the inspection report and understand the issues identified by the inspector. The report should list all the defects, along with their severity and recommended course of action.
- Determine what needs to be fixed: Based on the report, make a list of the items that require immediate attention and those that can wait. Some issues may be small and can be fixed with a simple repair, while others may require a more significant investment.
- Prioritize the items: Once you have your list, prioritize the items based on their severity and cost. This will help you decide which items to address first and what budget you may need.
- Discuss with your real estate agent: Share the inspection report with your real estate agent and discuss the issues identified. Your agent can help you understand the next steps and negotiate with the seller on your behalf.
- Decide on the next steps: After consulting with your real estate agent, decide on the next steps. This may include requesting the seller to make repairs, negotiating a lower price or credit, or accepting the property as-is.
- Re-evaluate your budget: If the inspection report reveals significant issues, you may need to adjust your budget to cover the repairs or renovations.
Remember, a home inspection report is not a deal-breaker. It provides you with an opportunity to make an informed decision about the property. With the right information and guidance from your real estate agent, you can take the necessary steps to move forward with your dream home.